Many people think that they only have gum disease if they have noticeable symptoms. Still, we would like to emphasize in the following article that some signs of gum disease are not always easily noticeable. Let’s take a look at some of the symptoms of gum disease at a closer angle to know whether or not you should see your dentist in Granville immediately about your possible gum disease.
Symptoms to Look Out For
- Sore or red gums: Gums that are overly red or sore are signs of bad oral health. Well there can be other causes to why your gums are sore and red, it is most advisable to have them looked at by a local dentist. Then they will be able to determine whether or not gum disease is the root cause.
- Receding gums: This symptom is most common in older patients, but it is another possible signs of gum disease. When the gums recede, the dentin layer, becomes exposed and extremely prone to dental decay.
- Bad breath: Bad breath that is temporary is most likely caused by food and drinks that we’ve eaten. However, bad breath that persists over many days is caused by gas expelled by bad bacteria that exist in the mouth and degrade the gums. Breath fresheners can mask be smells to a degree, gum disease treatment will help you eliminate this problem and improve your gum health.
- Moving teeth: Once gum disease advances to the later stages, bone loss starts in the jaw and teeth can loosen as a result. Once the jaw bone is compromised through gum disease, your teeth can start to move.
- No obvious signs: As stated at the beginning of this article, there are times in which gum disease manifests itself in ways that aren’t so obvious. This is most common during the early stages of the disease, but it can usually come as a surprise to discover that they have the problem while at a routine dental visit. This emphasizes the importance of going to these routine dental appointments in order to ensure that your oral health care is up to date. We recommend going to your local dentist about every 6 months if you can.
Do You Show Signs of Any of These?
If you are showing any of the obvious signs of gum disease and are becoming increasingly concerned with how this can impact your overall health, have no fear! At Village Family Dentist in Granville, OH, we are specially trained to detect and treat this kind of thing! Give us a call today so we can discuss a plan to save your teeth and your health! We can’t wait to hear from you, so be sure to call us, email us, or walk into our office today!